The Arch, established in 1812 near the Kuang Yin Ting on Chuikuang Road,is the biggest and the most delicate of its kind across Taiwan and Fujian. Chiu Liang-kung's mother, Ms. Hsu,was wife of Chiu Chih-jen, who was a general in the Ching dynasty. Hsu became a young widow in her late twenties and raised alone her only one-month-old son. In 1808, Chiu Liang-kung was appointed as Commander of Zhejiang Province and suppressed Tsai Chien's rebellion the next year. As Chiu had made great contributions to the country's stability, his mother was also honored with the building of an honorific arch. The four-pillar and threearchway stone arch is spectacular with its exquisite handcarved decorations. The arch was made of white granite and blackish green chingdou stone. White granite is used as construction materials, and chingdou stone as carving materials. On the top is a tablet inscribed with "Imperial Edict." Under the tablet is another four-word inscription, "Chin Ching Chie Hsiao," as a declaration of the greatness of Chiu's mother. On the pillars are some rhyming couplets written by famous people, one of whom was Wang Te-lu, Taiwan's ranking official in the Ching dynasty. Also, four pairs of stone lions are standing around the pillars as brave guards over the arch.