Chen Shi-yin, a native of Kaoken, Kinmen, went to Singapore and Indonesia in 1903 and opened shops selling local products. By cashing in on the great demand for goods and materials during the First World War (1914-1918), he became a millionaire businessman. In 1932, he went back to his hometown with his fourth concubine Hsue Hsian-chen (a native of Chushan, Kinmen) and bought land in Houpu for building his own house. As Chen was preoccupied with his business, it was Hsue and Chen’s nephew Chen Wen-fan that took charge of the construction of the house. However, Chen died before the house was completed. Hsue stayed in the house for less than four years and then fled to Singapore in 1937 because Japan declared war against China. The house was entrusted to Chen’s relatives and never used by Hsue onwards. It had been used as a hall of residence for Kinmen Senior High School teachers (in 1983). The central part of the façade protrudes from the main house like a turtle head. There is also an annex in the back. A variety of elaborate western or oriental decorations can be found on the head of the façade, the capitals of pillars, or the eaves. There are bamboo-shaped pottery drainpipes on the side walls. The glazed colored tiles attached to the front veranda feature vivid and lively paintings of flowers or fruits. The couplets were inscribed by a thenfamous native of Houpu, Fu Hsi-chi. The interior is equipped with the “Lunqian” doors (sliding wood doors used for the purpose of defense). Holistically, the house is furnished with well-developed defense facilities.