Chu Hsi's neo-Confucian philosophy developed in the South Song dynasty has a great influence on Kinmen. The establishment of "the Yan Nan Academy" came under such influence, which has made lots of contributions to general education and the forming of good social customs, encouraging the locals to take imperial examinations in pursuit of official positions. Kinmen's Chu-tzu Shrine was set up in 1687, originally affiliated with the Wu Chiang Academy. In 1770, Cheng Yu, a then Second-class Subprefect, proposed building another hall at the Academy to provide more space, but the plan was not implemented before he left his office. Afterwards, a local official, Huang Ru, bought the Academy and worshipped such
gods as Chu Tzi, Kwei-shing, Wenchang Tichun, and God of the Land, and such local gentry as Hsu Sheng, Lu Ta-kui, Lin Hsi-yuan, Wang Li-hsing, Chiu Kui, and Hsu Chie. In 1781, the academy was used as the county government's office under the government's command, and to its west, a new academy as well as the Chu-tzi Shrine was built. The building complex includes three parts of houses. The Yi Gate
is in the front (Yi means ceremonies or rites), the middle is used as lecture rooms, and the back is the Chu-tzi Shrine. There are eight wing rooms on either side used as a hall of residence. In back of the Shrine is the Ching Tzi Ting (a gazebo for scholars). The Chu-tzi Shrine is a structure with a ridged, double-eaves roof. There is an eaves gallery around the Shrine with a protruding platform in the front where the ceremonies of receiving imperial edicts were held. Also, some valuable relics can be found within the Shrine, including "Wu Chiang Academy Scholarship Inscription," "Name list of Scholarship Providers," and a tablet inscribed with "Chu-tzi Shrine" by Chian Mu, a celebrated master of the study of Sinology.