The Chuikuang Tower, situated in the southwest of Kincheng Township, overlooks the Chuikuang Lake, lies against the Fenglian mountain range, and faces the mouth of the Wuchiang River where the Isle of Chiankung is located. The region with beautiful scenery is more than 72,000 square feet. If looking down from the tower, one may enjoy a bird’s-eye view of Houpu (now known as Kincheng Township), observe the tide at the mouth of the Wuchiang River, and view the Isle of Chiankung, Lieyu and mainland China in the distance. The establishment of the Chuikuang Tower started in 1952 in order to honor the heroic deeds of those who had fought in battles in Kinmen and also in order to proclaim Chiang Kai-shek’s instruction “Wu Wang Tzai Chu,” which means do not forget the days in Chu. The tower was
completed in the fall of 1953 with a huge investment of labor and money. Many soldiers and civilians worked together, entering into the spirit of wartime Kinmen. The three-storey tower is a palace-style (national style) structure, with “Chuikuang Tower” inscribed on the top level by Lai Sheng-ming, who was a war hero in the battle of the Isle of Da Er Dan. Lai was a soldier-turned-hero, for he followed the
order of his company commander in the firing line in the battle of the Isle of Da Er Dan in 1950. The inscription was left by a soldier-turned-hero rather than a VIP or a high-status celebrity, which shows the deep thoughts of those who aimed to make the tower a “Kinmen Hero House.” The Chunghwa Post Co., Ltd. has sold more than 1.72 billion stamps bearing the images of the Chuikuang Tower and the stone
inscribed with “Wu Wang Tzai Chu,” and these two spots become world-famous with the wide spread of these stamps.