In the early ninth century, Chen Yuan, an official supervisor for horse herding, came to cultivate Wuchou (now known as Kinmen) with twelve clans, including the Tsai, Hsu, Wong, Li, Chang, Huang, Wang, Lu, Liu, Hong, Lin, and Hsiao clans. The scope of the cultivation was around the place now named Anchian.
Afterwards, some local people built a cottage to worship Chen Yuan as a horseprotecting general. Legend has it that the spirit of Chen Yuan showed up to protect local people from the threat of Japanese pirates in the late Yuan dynasty. As a result, the imperial government had "Fu Chi Temple" established before the cottage on Mount Feng Lian to worship Chen Yuan, who then was conferred upon a title of Fu You Sheng Hou. The local people also called him En Chu Kong or Sheng Hou En Tzu. Later on, the original temple was renovated as a three-house temple in 1843, and it has remained the same ever since. As Chen Yuan became a representative god in Kinmen, several other Fu Chi Temples could also be found elsewhere in Kinmen. Meanwhile, in the mid-Ching dynasty, the image of Chen Yuan was also worshipped by overseas Kinmen’s people loan-associations in Southeast Asia. The Horse-Herding Official Shrine is facing south. Its front house has a traditional roof. An Ou-Shou entrance of the front house is connected to the main hall, where Chen Yuan's image is worshipped, by a rolling-canopied pavilion and thus an indoor
covered space is formed. On either side is a courtyard, which lets in the light and keeps the space well-ventilated, so that religious ceremonies will not be influenced by weather conditions.