Kinmen has been a strategic point for naval defenses since the Ming dynasty. Chou Te-hsing, the Marquis of Chianghsia in the reign of the first emperor of the Ming dynasty, came to this island and established a walled city in 1387 to fight against pirates, and the name of Kinmen ("Gateway Fortress") was given
because the walled city was considered impregnable and could serve as a gate for navigational routes. In addition, for the sake of navigation, three stone pagodas were built in Kinmen by the imperial government; one of them, the Wentai Pagoda, was located outside the south gate of Quemoy Castle. It is the only pagoda built in the Ming dynasty that has remained intact since 1949, when lots of battles took
place in Kinmen. The Wentai Pagoda is a hexagonal five-story (the base excluded) structure made of 20-to-30-centimeter-thick granite bars. The pagoda is shaped like a pyramid with long granite bars being put between each story as eaves. On the top is a gourd-shaped stone. A stone bar inscribed with "Kwei Xing Song Zhao is placed under the third eaves, facing southeast toward Quemoy Castle. Under the inscription is an image of "Kwei Xing Ti Dou," through which people pray for promoted educational development. There are lots of inscriptions on the stone base, such as Chen Hui's "Hu Hai Ching Ping" on the south side and "Wei Tai Bao Ta" on the north side, Huang Jie's "Bi Hai Dan Xin," and Chang Dai-Chien's "Guo Zhi Jin Tang," making the pagoda a place of historical interest.