Yu Ta-you (1503-1580), also named Chih-fu or Hsu-chiang, was a famous general against Japanese pirates in the mid-Ming dynasty and acquired a reputation as a brave dragon. Yu started defending Kinmen in 1535. He then built up naval defense and strengthened military forces to ward off bandits and pirates. In addition, he promoted education and settled disputes between soldiers and civilians.
It took only several years to make Kinmen a much better place, and the local people even established a shrine to worship Yu for his achievements. The Hsu-Chiang-Hsiao-Wo Inscription is located on the cliff of Mount Nanching in Quemoy Castle. Yu used to visit the cliff, looking from above at the sea with some local officials or subordinates, and therefore, he inscribed “Hsu Chiang Hsiao Wo” on the cliff to
express his thought, which pointed out not only his great achievements but also the strategic importance of Quemoy Castle. Afterwards, a disciple of his, Yang Hong, built the “Hsiao Wo Pavilion” in front of the inscription and inscribed another short poem at the pavilion. Besides, many other poets or scholars left inscriptions here, such as "Kuan Hai" by an anonymous author, "Ta Kuan" by Chu Chie in 1704, and
"Ru Hua" by Lu Rei-lin in 1728. The Hsu-Chiang-Hsiao-Wo Inscription was ruined during the Quamoy Crisis in 1954 and rebuilt by the County Government in 2001.