The Three Widows Chastity Arch was set up on the ancient road in western Chiunglin in 1831 in honor of Ms. Chen (wife of Tsai Chong-huan), Ms. Chen (wife of Tsai's second son Shang-wen), and Ms. Huang (wife of Tsai's third son Shangshen). The Three Widows Chastity Arch was originally in the form of a "four-pillar, three-archway, and two-level" structure, mainly made of granite and blackish green chingdou stone with the four square pillars standing in a line. However, the tablet inscribed with "Imperial Edict" as well as the eaves originally on the third level has been gone. In spite of many lost parts, the Three Widows Chastity Arch still looks powerful and elegant with its excellent stone material and carvings. There
are dragon heads on either side of the main archway. Inside the dragon heads are a picture carved at the front, which describes two dragons fighting for a bead, and the other picture carved at the back, which describes two phoenixes facing the sun. Such decorations can be seen on all of the three chastity arches set up in the Ching dynasty in Kinmen. There are rhyming couplets on either side of the pillars. The one at the front was inscribed by an imperial scholar Tsai Ting-lan, a native of Kinmen emigrating to Penghu, while the other at the back was left by Kuo Yangsheng, a government official accredited to the Anping-tzuoying area in Taiwan. Both couplets exactly explain the great achievements of the three widows, who
endured great hardship in order to support the family.