The Cheng Ancestral Shrine, located at 14 Tonghsi, Tayang Li, Kinsha Township, was built in 1848. A stone incense burner inside the shrine, on which some characters were inscribed, can serve as evidence of the completion date. Cheng Huai-ren, the pioneer of the Cheng clan in Neiyang, Kinsha Township (Tonghsi included), moved to Neiyang from Changchou in the early Ching dynasty. Afterwards, some of the Cheng clan members came to cultivate Houlong, Miaoli, Taiwan. One of the Cheng clan members, Cheng Chong-he, moved to Peimen, Chuchian (now known as Hsinchu City), and became rich by teaching and going into business. His second son, Yong-hsi, was the first person in Taiwan to pass the imperial examination in 1823. The Cheng Ancestral Shrine, established by Cheng Yong-hsi when he
went back to his hometown, serves as a place where the pioneer and the ancestors of the Cheng
clan are worshipped, implying that the emigrants still stick to their cultural roots. The structure of the Cheng Ancestral Shrine is typical of the local architecture in the mid-Ching dynasty.
Facing northwest, the Cheng Ancestral Shrine has a symmetrical layout with the main gate, the courtyard, and the main hall arranged in line. In front of the main hall stands a room with high eaves. An indentation is made in the central part of the main gate with a step stand on either side, which allows for a short stay. The building materials include red brick, red tiles, granite, and wood. The main building method is brick-laying. The main gate made of wood has a symmetrical design. The stone drums in front of the main gate as well as the stone window lattices of the rooms on either side of the main gate are delicately carved. The bracket set and the hanging post are made of a whole piece of stone. The remaining decorations, such as the
archway of the main gate, are all in the form of exquisite carvings. The wood carvings inside the shrine are the embodiment of the artistic achievement made by local craftsmen.