The Li Residence of Shi-shan-chian is made up of two buildings, one of which is in the front with its house number being No.17 Shi-shan-chian and the other in the rear with its house number being No.18 Shi-shan-chian. The building in the rear includes two parts of houses, which was built by Li Shi-ta in 1880 after he successfully ran "Chin Yu Mei Chiu Pa Han" in Singapore. Chiu Pa Han means a trade shop. The building in the front was built by Li Tsechian in 1884 after he successfully ran "Chin Chen Mei Chiu Pa Han," which was a bazaar in Singapore. The front building includes three parts of houses and wing rooms on either side.
There are 16 rooms in total, and therefore, the locals call it "the Sixteen-room House." Li Shita, whose official name was Li Yi-li, was once conferred upon a title "Wu Pin Tong Chi Feng Cheng Tai Fu" by donating money to the imperial government. Li Tse-chian was one of the important leaders among the overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia. Both of them built traditional courtyard houses in their hometown. These buildings are in the form of a raised-ridge-roof house with five bays in a row. The form is so called "Ta Liu Lu" by the locals. The front building was damaged during Quemoy Crisis in 1958, but the main body remains intact; the rear building was once used by the national army and renovated in January 1997. Both the front and the rear buildings, facing west, are equipped with raised-ridge roofs. The building materials include granite stone, red brick, and wood. The rear structure, built earlier than the front one,
includes only two parts of houses, but it is more gorgeous in terms of carpentry work. The front building includes three parts of houses and two courtyards, while the rear one includes two parts of houses and one courtyard. All the houses are in the five-bay-in-a-row form. To add the powerful effect to the facade, lime is applied to the surface of the central hall and the rooms beside with drawings of geometrical patterns. There are also some paintings directly drawn on the white wall and framed with brick. The finish carpentry is delicate, especially the wooden doorsills with bright colors and different images on either side. The main gates of both structures are framed with granite stone. The decorative cylinders in a pair are fastened on the frame. There is a horizontal board above either gate. One board is inscribed with "Shan Ming Shui Hsiu," and the other "Fu Hsing Kao Chao," both of which are blessings made by the house owners.