Shi-shan-chian, located in northeastern Kinmen island, is a traditional village of the Li clan. The ancestor of the Li clan in Shi-shan-chian Village was Li Sun-chu, who was ordered to defend hundreds of households at Tadengyu and Hsiaodengyu against Japanese pirates. In 1369, Li Sun-chu died for the fight against Japanese pirates who invaded Hsiaotengyu, so his wife, Ms. Wu, escaped to Shanhsi, Kinmen with her children. They then moved to Shi-shan-chian after the second son, Li Hsian-tsong, grew up, and named their family "Kui Lin." Afterwards, the family kept growing and formed a large scale village. Many of the Li descendants moved to Southeast Asia after the mid nineteenth century. Some of them got rich by running business in Singapore and in 1906 built the Li Ancestral Shrine, where their family members could gather
and worship the ancestors. The Li Ancestral Shrine, facing southwest and located in northern Shi-shan-chian, is a typical one widely seen in southern Fujian. It includes two parts of houses with three rooms in either row and two passages. The rectangular layout is formed by a front courtyard, a front hall, an inner courtyard, and passages on both sides, and a main hall, all of which are arranged in line. The passages on either side next to the front entrance are moved backward, and in the center is a two-leaf gate. The wooden structure and the colorful paintings are very delicate. Square stone pillars are applied in the front hall and the passages, while round wood pillars are applied in the main hall. The colorful paintings on the gray wall of the front hall are thought to have been created at the time when the shrine was completed, and
thus are of great historical value. The column-and-tie construction of the shrine is delicate and complete. The wood carvings inside the shrine as well as the colorful paintings on the columnand- tie construction are the most valuable part all over the shrine. Generally speaking, most parts of the shrine are well kept. With raised-ridge roofs, the shrine looks elegant, modest, and solemn, and it is one of the few ancestral shrines in Kinmen that remain intact. The shrine was used by the military after 1949, and therefore, some propaganda slogans, such as "Safety is the first priority," are still left on the outer wall of the shrine.