Huang Hsuan-hsian (the 13th generation of the Huang family) was born in 1758 and died in 1792. His father, Yun-jun (the 12th generation), once held an official position as “Han Wai Lang.” Hsuan-hsian was the last one of Yun-jun’s seven children. The Huang family, highly respected in the local community, was active in building their overseas business. Hsuan-hsian’s great-grandson, Xi-huai (born in 1842 as the 16th generation), went to Indonesia to start his business after the opening of five major China’s seaports to western powers. Two of Xi-huai’s children, Di-xuan and Di-shan, developed their business in Indonesia and Singapore respectively, while Xi-hua’s first-born son, Zhang-han (also named Rui-bu) stayed in Kinmen and co-inherited the residence with Bing-xiang, the grandson of Xiyong (Xi-yong belonged to the 16th generation.) The raised-ridge-roof residence was in the form of “Liu Lu Ta Tsuo,” which means there were one house in the front, one house in the back, two annexes attached to either side of the front house and the back house respectively, and one Hu Long house on either side of the main houses (long-shaped houses perpendicular to the main houses). Such a huge residence was indeed indicative of the great wealth of the Huang family. The front house features a concave porch in the Ta Chan Pu style. The main hall of the front house as well as that of the back house is of column-and-tie construction. The outer walls are in the form of load bearing walls. The wood doors are carved with flower patterns. There are four characters, including Fu (happiness), Lu (prosperity), Chen (auspiciousness), Hsiang (lucky omen), as well as colorful paintings of flowers and birds and flower-shaped ceramic figurines, on the upper part of the façade. There are dragon-shaped drop tiles and lion-shaped tile-ends on the roof of the front house. The national army were stationed in Kinmen in 1949, when about 40 to 50 soldiers lived in this residence, and they damaged a lot of the carpentry works. For example, they pulled wood doors and windows off and used them as bed planks or firewood. In 1970s, Di-shan, who ran a business of specialty trade in Singapore, contributed NT$400,000 to the repair of the roofs of both houses which was done by craftsmen from Hsiyuan. In 1991, due to a country planning scheme, the Hu Long house on the left was removed and replaced by a drainage channel. Therefore, the residence now is in the form of Liu Lu Ta Tsuo with a Hu Long house on the right. Shui-pen went back to Kinmen in 2003, and he contributed NT$100,000 in the following year to the renovation of the residence. As a result, the roof of the wing rooms on the right is of sheet metal, and part of the walls is of concrete construction.