Huang Wei, also named Meng-wei, Yi-sou, or Yi-so, a native of Wenshuitou (now known as
Houshuitou), was born in 1488. He passed the imperial examination in 1514 and then held several official
posts, making lots of achievements. However, as an outspoken person, he did not get along well with those in power. Later on, he returned to his hometown and gave lectures to the locals. Huang Wei had a positive influence on the local society. There are lots of legends of Huang Wei and Hsu Chie, both of whom were born in the Ming dynasty as natives of Kinmen. The former was famous for his noble character, and the latter for his writings. Huang Wei was praised as "a perfect person of virtue" and one of the ten famous persons of Wenlin now known as Nanjing. In 1537, Huang Wei was ordered to relieve the great famine in Chuanchou with Hsu Fu and Yu Ta-you. Unfortunately, the next year he died from physical fatigue. The Tomb of Huang Wei, built in 1538, is located on the northern hillside of Mount Taiwu between Houshuitou Village and Toumen Village. The pit of the tomb called "Fei Ya Luo Tian" looks powerful as it is shaped like a bird spreading its wings. There is flat farmland in front of the tomb with the Toumen River and the Kinsha River running by on either side. In the back of the tomb is Mount Taiwu, and the mountains on the coast of Fujian can even be seen. As a result, the site of the tomb was regarded as one of the four auspicious graveyards in Kinmen at that time. Generally speaking, burial mounds would be arranged in the far back part of the tomb. However, it is a protective wall for the main part of the tomb that was arranged there. The burial mound is divided into two layers. The bottom layer is made of a whole piece of stone with a protruding part in the center. The top layer is a piece of stone in a down-U shape. Therefore, the tomb is equipped with a "tomb turtle" called by the locals in Kinmen. There is a plate of stone carvings on either front side of the burial mound. The facade of the tomb altar is divided into three parts by a pattern of bamboo joints carved in relief.
The central part is a picture where a celestial being with a fan in one hand is looking at a deer and a crane,
which is a symbol of luck, fortune, and longevity. The other two parts are carved with images of a phoenix
and a carp jumping over "Long Men" (a dragon gate) respectively. There are two tomb hands on either side of the tomb altar with a Ming Tang (bright hall) for worship and a stone bench on either side for people to rest on. Such stone benches are rarely seen in the layout of other tombs. A falling stone tablet inscribed with the story of Huang Wei is found by the Kinsha River to the northeast of the tomb. The stone tablet was originally placed inside a pavilion which was ruined long time ago. The "Mu Tao Pei" (a tablet used as a road sign for a tomb) was originally placed by the ancient road at the edge of Toumen Village. However, due to the land rearrangement in 1987, the Mu Tao Pei is no longer by the road side and gets covered by bushes.
The upper part of the tombstone is inscribed with "Ta Ming." The tomb is in the official form adopted in the
Ming dynasty. Of all the tombs built in Kinmen in the Ming dynasty, the Tomb of Huang Wei is the most