首頁banner
* :::You are here:Home
 

facebook facebook
Text Size: S M L
ForwardPrintBack
Wuchiu Lighthouse
Wuchiu Lighthouse(view the full size image in the new window)Wuchiu Lighthouse(view the full size image in the new window)

Designed by David Marr Henderson, the then chief engineer, and co-supervised by John Ropinald, the deputy engineer, the Wuchiu Lighthouse was completed in 1874, guiding ships traveling between Fuzhou and Xiamen. Shipped from Shanghai, the building materials and components were precisely calculated. Japan occupied Wuchiu Isle between 1943 and 1945 in World War II. Some Japanese lived in the
lighthouse and had it function as usual. The lighthouse was badly damaged in terms of its lamps and the main body by the U.S. air attacks before Japan declared its surrender. When the Japanese retreated from Wuchiu, they damaged the lighthouse again with artillery fire. The British restored it in 1945. However, it was spoiled again in 1948 during the Chinese civil war. The lighthouse keeper had no alternative
but to leave there and work in Taiwan until the lighthouse was well restored. The lighthouse was then equipped with electric lights instead of kerosene lamps. The lighthouse stopped its operation in 1951 due to military strategies, but the routine maintenance work was still being carried out. Between 1970 and 1975, the military forces took charge of the maintenance work, raising the height of the stone wall and
reinforcing it with cement. Also, houses were built inside the wall and connected with the lighthouse by an underground tunnel. From 1874 to 2006, the Wuchiu Lighthouse has accomplished its mission to guiding ships.o

Visitor:1511 Update:2008-12-13 TopPrintBack
::: Privacy and Security PolicyAccessibility